Facebook & Forums
DWN Website Top 50 Home Garden Tree Fruit Varieties?
– By Dave Wilson Nursery
Of the many DWN home garden tree fruit varieties — with their varying key traits and adaptations, fruit tasting scores, DWN recommendations and general reputations — which ones receive the most attention? Which tree fruit variety pages do DWN website users most often access?
Two different Top Home Garden Tree Fruit Variety lists have been tabulated - the Top 50 overall, which is dominated by low-chill varieties, and the Top 40 for varieties having estimated chilling requirements of 500 or more hours. The lists are based on unique pageviews (the number of user sessions during which a specific page was accessed) for the 12-month period ended September 30, 2015. Varieties without individual pages, such as vine and bush fruits, are not included.
To some extent, these two sets of fruit varieties might be considered consensus DWN top varieties, as they result from the combined inputs of DWN recommendations/promotion and website user interest. In any case, the lists are offered as starter checklists for home growers researching varieties to plant.
Links to the complete lists are given below each Top 10.
Top 10 DWN Website Home Garden Tree Fruit Varieties
1. Flavor King Pluot® - perhaps the most admired, desired and talked-about DWN home garden fruit variety
2. Spice Zee NectaPlum™ - delicious white-fleshed fruit, ornamental tree: showy in bloom, dark red new foliage
3. Lapins Cherry - self-fruitful Bing-type, low chilling requirement yet widely adapted
4. Blenheim Apricot - all-time highest-scoring apricot at DWN fruit tastings
5. Burgundy Plum - sweet, subacid red-fleshed semi-freestone; pollenizer for J. plum and Pluot® varieties
6. Sweet Treat Pluerry™ - plum-cherry interspecific: heavy crops of sweet fruit, long hang time
7. Royal Lee Cherry - chill requirement only 2-300 hours, high quality fruit
8. Flavor Grenade Pluot® - taste test winner, flavor explodes in your mouth, be ready
9. Babcock White Peach - classic low chill freestone; sweet, subacid
10. Weeping Santa Rosa Plum - unique, versatile edible ornamental; taste test winner
Top 10 DWN Website Home Garden Tree Fruit Varieties, 500+ Chill Hours
1. Emerald Beaut Plum - remarkably long hang time, sweet fruit becoming even sweeter
2. Royal Rainier Cherry - taste-test winner, extremely sweet and flavorful
3. Suncrest Peach - firm, delicious freestone, taste test winner; widely adapted
4. Flavor Supreme Pluot® - consistently rated among the best of the best at fruit tastings
5. O'Henry Peach - large, firm freestone, consistently high-scoring in taste tests
6. Craig's Crimson Cherry - ideal backyard cherry: self-fruitful, semi-dwarf, taste test winner
7. Indian Free White Peach - one of a kind; highly aromatic, intensely flavored late season fruit
8. Warren Pear - flavorful, smooth-textured dessert pear; excellent resistance to fire blight
9. Rainier Cherry - very cold hardy, consistently high-scoring in taste-tests
10. Utah Giant Cherry - large, firm, flavorful, taste test winner; Utah's favorite sweet cherry
During the 12 months ended September 30, 2015, DWN website user sessions by origin location were as follows: California 36%; other western U.S. states 20%; U.S. east of the Rocky Mountain states 31%; outside the U.S. 13%.